Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Week 6 EOC: Me Times Three

Gillette aftershave


Gillette Aftershave is a personal favorite of mine because it makes my skin feel oh so good after shaving, it smells great and it comes in an easy to use plastic container – opposed to a glass or hard plastic bottle.

Gillette’s demographic segmentation variables for the aftershave balm are obviously the male demographic with an age range of 20–34. "Demographic factors are the most popular bases for segmenting customer groups. One reason is that consumer needs, wants, and usage rates often vary closely with demographic variables. Another is that demographic variables are easier to measure than most other types of variables." (http://digitalbookshelf.artinstitutes.edu/#/books/9780558851903/pages/16446625) Based on the commercial ad below, I'd say that Gillette is looking to keep the market segmentation focused on the younger end of my projected age range.





Old Spice Deodorant
Old Spice Deodorant is a my preferred antiperspirant because it keeps me smelling fresh throughout the day and it smells good. I probably could find another deodorant that does an equal or better job, however I’m getting old and set in my ways. I like what I like. I’ve been using is for years and will continue out of habit.

"Gender segmentation has long been used in clothing, cosmetics, toiletries, and magazines. For example, P&G was among the first with Secret, a brand specially formulated for a woman’s chemistry, packaged and advertised to reinforce the female image." (http://digitalbookshelf.artinstitutes.edu/#/books/9780558851903/pages/16446626) Old Spice’s gender segmentation for High Endurance deodorant is focused on the male demographic with an age range of 20-90+.  Old Spice marketing has been working hard to capture the younger consumer with comical online commercials and promotions. Check out this one below:




Irish Springs Soap
Irish Spring is by far my personal favorite when it comes to body soap because of its distinct smell that lasts throughout the day. I’m not a big fan of cologne so having a body soap that makes me smells fresh, clean and crisp is important in my everyday regimen.

Defining a market segmentation variables for Irish Spring deodorant soap is difficult because its appeal is very subjective. "There is no single way to segment a market. A marketer has to try different segmentation variables, alone and in combination, to find the best way to view the market structure." (http://digitalbookshelf.artinstitutes.edu/#/books/9780558851903/pages/16446624) While Irish Spring rarely advertises it's products, the commercial below shows that their marketing department is focusing their efforts on a younger 20–34 male and female demographic.

No comments:

Post a Comment